Disclaimer

Everything posted here is stricktly the opinion of the poster and shall not be taken to be the official position of UNMIS, UNMISS, UN, the Norwegian Armed Forces or any other organisation whatsoever.

Monday 6 December 2010

Observations along a luggage conveyor belt

First off... I'm back in Khartoum. No training course this time - I'm on my way home on my first leave!

Anyhow, the UN flight from Juba arrived in Khartoum just after a domestic flight - meaning off course that our luggage arrived on the conveyor belt late. After a while down here you get used to make a bit of observations, and I woud like to share the three tiers of luggage I spotted.

  • First there is the affluent style, which seemed to be picked up from the belt by well off people: Pile all your belongings on a carpet, fold and roll it up and wrap a belt around it.
  • One step down, and commonly picked up by what to me looked like the upper middle class: Take a huge shopping bag, cram everything into it and close it up with duct tape.
  • Lastly, and in large numbers: Scour the neighborhood for a cardboard box, preferable beaten up. Cram it so full the sides almost split, then wrap some twine around it and call it done.
Yeah... to quote Dorothy: We're not in Kansas no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment