Disclaimer

Everything posted here is stricktly the opinion of the poster and shall not be taken to be the official position of UNMIS, UNMISS, UN, the Norwegian Armed Forces or any other organisation whatsoever.

Sunday 26 September 2010

Sunday is the new Monday

One thing that will probably take a little bit to get used to - if I end up being posted to the northern part of Sudan - is the fact that the weekend consists of Friday and Saturday. But since I don't know where I'll be posted yet, even though I have a few wishes, I've decided not to worry about it yet. As for why I don't know where I'll be posted yet - why, that is partly because one need to pass the driving test and the English Language Proficiency test first. The former I'll take this coming Wednesday. The latter I had today...

Yes, I do realize that such tests has to be geared towards the lowest possible denominator. Yes, I do realize that Norwegians and other Scandinavians have a better education in English than most since our native languages are spoken by a mere handful of people around the world. And yet I can't shake the feeling that a 8th grader from Norway would been able to pass the test with flying colours.

The test itself was in four parts:
  • Insert the missing word in sentences, mostly different tenses of verbs
  • Demonstrate that you understand a written test, by means of a number of questions
  • Demonstrate that you can give directions from point A to point B as given on a simple map
  • Write a short essay about your home nation - highlighting geographical, political and cultural issues - of fifteen lines or more.
The maximum time one can spend on the test is one hour - I finished early (as I always did on tests while I was in school) and filled the sheet on the last question. Results are posted tomorrow, and I need 70% or more to pass.

Also today we got issued the last of our gear; field bed, mosquito dome, sat phone, field rations, mosquito oil and fly paper. I'll do a "functional check" of the sat phone later today, after we have pizza here on the Norwegian House.

No comments:

Post a Comment